[phc-general] Changes in Abstract Grammar

Peter peter5001 at gmx.de
Mon Oct 18 19:23:55 IST 2010

Hello,

i am a web developer using php on a regular basis. but i must admit that
i do not know much about the inner working of compilers. i think phc is
a great project and i hope this is the right place for my question ;-)

i would like to add some experimental constructs to the grammar of php
(something like properties in c# or vala). so i wondered if this would
be possible with phc.

my idea is to use phc to transform a php script with an extended grammar
of php into a php script with regular grammar, by replacing non-regular
constructs with generated code (i.e. by replacing c#/vala-like
properties with java-bean-like accessor methods and private fields).

so i sketched the following code transformation chain:

1] PHP Script (with extensions to the grammar, i.e. properties)
... transformation into an AST using phc ...

2] PHC-AST (with extensions to the grammar, i.e. properties)
... replacement of non-regular constructs with regular code using the
Tree_transorm API ...

3] PHC-AST (regular grammar, i.e. accessor methods & private fields)
... transformation into regular php script ...

4] PHP Script (regular grammar, i.e. accessor methods & private fields)

i had a look at the source code of phc but as i started to experiment
with some code in "/generated_src" i couldn't compile phc anymore.
touching these files yields to an "permission denied error".

as you can see i dont know much about c++, makefiles and stuff like
that. but i would like to learn more about these things if my idea above
could be realized at all. so here is the actual question:

would it be possible to extend the syntax/grammar of phc
(/generated_src/php_scanner.lex & /generated_src/ast.tea ???) in order
to make such transformations (properties -> accessor methods)?

if yes, could you give me some hints? how would you do this?

any help is much appreciated!
thank you very much!
sorry for my bad english,

peter