[phc-general] compiling phc using trunk, various problems with libboost

Peter peter5001 at gmx.de
Tue Oct 19 13:30:10 IST 2010

Hello again,

thank you very much for your immediate responses (Paul & Andrei).

Unfortunatly i was not able to compile phc using trunk. The configure
script always complains about my libboost installation.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 (i guess this is what makes it so nasty but
cannot upgrade easily right now),

* I tried running the configure script with libboost 1.34.0 which was
too old
* I tried running the configure script with libboost 1.35.0 and various
combinations of options (--with-boost-regex, --with-boost-libdir etc.)
but with no success
* I then compiled the latest version of libboost 1_44_0 and ran phc's
configure script with various options again

Like so for example ...

 ./configure --with-maketea=/opt/maketea --with-boost=/opt/boost_1_44_0
--with-boost-libdir=/opt/boost_1_44_0/stage/lib
--with-boost-regex=libboost_regex.so

But I still get those weird configure-errors like so ...

checking for gengetopt... /usr/bin/gengetopt
checking for gperf... /usr/bin/gperf
checking for flex... /usr/bin/flex
checking for bison... /usr/bin/bison
checking for valgrind... /usr/bin/valgrind
checking for dot... /usr/bin/dot
checking for gc... /usr/bin/gc
checking for maketea... /opt/maketea/maketea
checking for php... no
checking for zend_eval_string in -lphp5... yes
checking for sapi/embed/php_embed.h... yes
checking whether compiler supports covariant returns... yes
checking for /usr/lib/libCrun.so.1... no
checking for boostlib >= 1.35.0... yes
checking whether the Boost::Regex library is available... yes
checking for main in -llibboost_regex.so... no
checking for main in -lboost_regex-libboost_regex.so... no
configure: error: Could not link against boost_regex-libboost_regex.so !

Using Google I found an issue 129 "ubuntu compile error" ...
http://code.google.com/p/phc/issues/detail?id=129#c1

... reoprting similar problems, but unfortunatly I cannot install
libboost-all-dev as suggested by paul because there is no package
libboost-all-dev for ubuntu 8.10, i guess.

I am sorry to annoy you with my problems here, and I must again admit
that I am no expert for these configure-make-dependencies-nightmares.

If you think this mailing list is the wrong place to ask questions like
these, just tell me.

Thanks in advance,

peter