[phc-general] compiling phc using trunk, various problems with libboost

Andrei Alvares logytech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:30:42 IST 2010

Hello Peter,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Peter <peter5001 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> thank you very much for your immediate responses (Paul & Andrei).
>
> Unfortunatly i was not able to compile phc using trunk. The configure
> script always complains about my libboost installation.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.10 (i guess this is what makes it so nasty but
> cannot upgrade easily right now),

And I though my Ubuntu 9.10 was too old. (;

> * I tried running the configure script with libboost 1.34.0 which was
> too old
> * I tried running the configure script with libboost 1.35.0 and various
> combinations of options (--with-boost-regex, --with-boost-libdir etc.)
> but with no success
> * I then compiled the latest version of libboost 1_44_0 and ran phc's
> configure script with various options again
>
> Like so for example ...
>
>  ./configure --with-maketea=/opt/maketea --with-boost=/opt/boost_1_44_0
> --with-boost-libdir=/opt/boost_1_44_0/stage/lib
> --with-boost-regex=libboost_regex.so
>

> But I still get those weird configure-errors like so ...
>
> checking for gengetopt... /usr/bin/gengetopt
> checking for gperf... /usr/bin/gperf
> checking for flex... /usr/bin/flex
> checking for bison... /usr/bin/bison
> checking for valgrind... /usr/bin/valgrind
> checking for dot... /usr/bin/dot
> checking for gc... /usr/bin/gc
> checking for maketea... /opt/maketea/maketea
> checking for php... no
> checking for zend_eval_string in -lphp5... yes
> checking for sapi/embed/php_embed.h... yes
> checking whether compiler supports covariant returns... yes
> checking for /usr/lib/libCrun.so.1... no
> checking for boostlib >= 1.35.0... yes
> checking whether the Boost::Regex library is available... yes
> checking for main in -llibboost_regex.so... no
> checking for main in -lboost_regex-libboost_regex.so... no
> configure: error: Could not link against boost_regex-libboost_regex.so !

Well, if you compiled the newest version of boost, it should have
worked. I don't know why it hasn't.

> Using Google I found an issue 129 "ubuntu compile error" ...
> http://code.google.com/p/phc/issues/detail?id=129#c1
>
> ... reoprting similar problems, but unfortunatly I cannot install
> libboost-all-dev as suggested by paul because there is no package
> libboost-all-dev for ubuntu 8.10, i guess.

Well, you need to install the dev package of boost. On my ubuntu the
package name is a little bit different from Paul's. Check it out with
apt-cache:

$ apt-cache search libbost | grep dev

On mine I got something like:
libboost1.38-dev - Boost C++ Libraries development files

Let's hope you version is >= 1.35.

> I am sorry to annoy you with my problems here, and I must again admit
> that I am no expert for these configure-make-dependencies-nightmares.
>
> If you think this mailing list is the wrong place to ask questions like
> these, just tell me.

It is not the wrong place, feel free to post any doubts.
Regards,
  Andrei